The Cross of Vila Viçosa, a precious receptacle of a fragment of the True Cross, is a work executed between 1656 and 1673 by Filipe Vallejo, by order of the Duke João II (King João IV of Portugal), thus fulfilling a vow of his father Teodósio of Bragança.
This piece alone, for its intrinsic value and its historical and religious value, would require the Foundation to create a safe and dignified space.
The preparation of this section on the ground floor was guided by this need, adopting a discreet museological layout that permits the reading of the objects individually and within the sets that were chosen to be displayed around them. This key piece was joined by another 170, mostly owned by a private collector.
Among the treasures of the Palace, other gold and silver works are preserved in the Treasury, namely the Cross of Catherine of Bragança, the Caravel Cutlery Case and implements of worship; Flemish paintings and tapestries from the 15th Century, 2 Maori tikis from New Zealand; Llama wool vestments embroidered with gold; and some remarkable pieces of pottery.
The collection exhibited here gives the visitor a glimpse of a section of civil silversmithing that focuses on the 18th and 19th centuries, the golden age of this art in Portugal during which names such as João Coelho Sampaio stand out. Also included are pieces of jewellery, paintings, ceramics, glassware, sculptures - the Flemish Saint Barbara and the collection of Indo-Portuguese ivory - can be viewed.